Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Humble, Tasty Samosa


I should be clear on one thing before I write anything else: I've never been to India.

I need to acknowledge this because it provides ample evidence that I've never eaten real Indian food. Food grown, prepared, and eaten in India. With some rare occasions where I've sample "authentic" Indian food prepared by Indians in North America, but on most occasions it's the North American restaurant version of Indian food. I don't know how the two compare but I thought I should disclose that single fact.

The samosa is very close to perfection as far as food goes. It's compact, easy to transport, full of goodness, can be modified to be as spicy or as mild as you want it to be, and a plate of samosas and a couple of cold Kingfishers brings the consumer as close to nirvana as one can get without bothering to collect any Virtues.

I'm ready for lunch just thinking about it.

There's just something about the way the ingredients all come together in a samosa -- potatoes, peas, cilantro, curry, mustard seed, onion, maybe green chilis, the crunchy deep-fried shell -- that sends my taste buds swooning. Served cold or hot, they're a delight. (Though, when they're served hot I tend to take my time eating them, simply because I'll burn my mouth if I gulp them down.)

If you've never tried a samosa, I'm not sure why you're still reading this. You should be standing in a line or sitting at a table telling your server you want an order of samosas.

No comments:

Post a Comment