Thursday, September 6, 2012

Some Recent Reviews

I know I don't do enough advertising when it comes to my writing, so this post is a bit of a catch-up for Reviews for New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS), Ghost Recon: Future Solider (PC), and The Walking Dead: Long Road Ahead (PC).

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
I think it speaks volumes that I'm still fooling around with this during my commute. Coin Rush is revisited at least once a day to "challenge" StreetPass records of random strangers, but there's still one "World" I have yet to open and it's bugging the hell out of me. I know there's a way there -- otherwise why would it be included on the map? -- but I'm trying to stay off Gamefaqs. I'd like to find the secret and I'll bet it's a path so obvious that I'm missing it because it's in plain sight. Also: The game is a re-telling of the film Scarface.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (PC)
I did enjoy Future Soldier because it's a little more deliberate in its action sequences. There's some planning that can actually be accomplished -- must be accomplished -- in order to proceed in a ghost-life fashion. The pacing descends into frantic fire fights occasionally, but it's not overdone. Multiplayer and co-op is included but I only dabbled with both thanks to the astuteness of the computer AI, which will actually go out of it's way to try to revive you should you be dropped. Human players... not so much.

The Walking Dead Episode 3: Long Road Ahead (PC)
Telltale's latest adventure game continues to get stronger each episode. Filled with a lot of dark turns (and humour, sometimes!), Long Road Ahead actually brought me to tears at one point. It's emotionally jarring and touching at the same time, it does much to heighten the utter hopelessness of the situation the ever-dwindling number of survivors find themselves. And there's a train, which is pretty awesome.

So, there you have it, my latest three reviews. Though we're headed into the high season for game releases -- meaning Reviews will be first and foremost -- I'll be trying my hand at writing quick previews. I want to be able to churn something out in 30 minutes or less and that'll take a bit of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment